As we come to the end of first semester, it is important to check in with our long-term goals. A question that students and parent often ask is about what they should be doing to get ready for college. I hope that the checklist below can help you set priorities and stay on track!
Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors:
- Check out this helpful slide show for an overview of your College Roadmap.
- Keep your grades up! Semester exams are right around the corner. Use Thanksgiving break to review and set study goals for 3rd quarter. Be sure to go to ROAR for extra help. Here are the dates for this year.
- Explore clubs, athletics, and other extracurricular activities. Part of what we do in high school is discover what we love doing and what we care about in our community. Chaffey has so many ways to get involved! Be sure to listen to announcements and ask your teachers about awesome things to do on campus. Twitter can also be a great resource; follow Ms. Martinez, ASB, Chaffey Counseling, Mr. Helper, Link Crew, me, and others to get connected. Here is a link to all of the clubs on campus!
- Build your skills: Read, read, read! Reading widely and deeply will prepare you for any college experience. Reading excellent fiction and non-fiction improves your vocabulary, grammar, and composition skills, but, perhaps more importantly, reading builds empathy and understanding. You are in high school now, so it is time to move out of Young Adult fiction and into the world of literature. Read this page for some useful reading lists, and get started!
- Apply for summer enrichment opportunities: There are many amazing summer enrichment and mentoring programs that can help you prepare for college. The deadlines are rapidly approaching for many. Check out this list and take advantage of these great opportunities!
- Summer Opportunities
- Visit colleges: In addition to the tasks above, second semester sophomore year is the perfect time to start visiting colleges. See the post here for ways to find colleges and check out the five worth the drive on this page. To visit a college, go to the school website, locate the admissions pages, and look for information about high school visits. Every site looks a little different, so think like a detective and dig around. You can call the admissions office and schedule a tour. Get a parent to take you and your friends to as many colleges as possible over the next three semesters so you have plan for applications your senior year.
- Prepare for the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, and ACT exams: You took the PSAT first semester this year. Second semester, you should use your PSAT scores to help you get a study plan for the SAT, SAT Subject Tests (SAT II), and the ACT. Use awesome resources like Vocabulary.com and the College Board to start studying. Be sure to sign up for SAT II in chemistry and World History at the end of this semester! Check out these blog posts for more information:
- You should have three main goals this semester: SAT/ACT preparation, excellent grades, and visiting colleges.
- Join our College Knowledge group for extra help!
- SAT: Sign up for Chaffey’s FREE SAT prep classes ASAP. Check your School Loop email for a message from Mr. Hood about how to sign up. Classes start in December and meet though March in preparation for the March SAT.
You have a lot to do this month! Be sure to reach out for help.
College Application Checklist:
- October-November: CSU Applications
- November: UC Applications
- December-January: Independent College Applications
- Spring: Community College Applications
Financial Aid Checklist:
- October-November: FAFSA/Dream Act
- October-December: CSS Profile for select independent colleges
- Here is a detailed slide show about financial aid and each step in the process. Be sure to check out the financial aid cost calculators.
You are the final stretch! See the monthly checklist below and stay on track.